Nowadays, it is easier than ever to record audio anywhere in the world. If you’re always on the move, you likely need a podcast studio you can take with you. In this blog, the Simplecast team will help teach you how to create a portable podcasting setup that can go anywhere you go.
What is a portable podcasting setup?
A portable podcasting setup allows you to record audio on location. With a mobile or portable podcasting setup, you can record audio and podcasts wherever you are in the world. Whether you’re traveling, at a conference, hanging out around town, or on the road, you will be prepared to do a great podcast. Now, it’s easy to record professional-quality audio on the go.
Tips & Tricks
Keep it light: When it comes to portable podcasting, it’s important to travel light. Trying to navigate and travel with a ton of equipment can get a bit cumbersome, so be sure to scale down and only bring the essentials. You will be so glad that you did!
Consider how you’ll be editing & publishing: If you are planning on editing or publishing your audio away from your main office, take this into consideration while planning your gear.
Power: When you’re working remotely, be sure to keep extra power cables and batteries on hand, just in case.
Keep a checklist: Make a list of all the equipment that you need to keep things simple when you’re getting ready to go.
Test your set-up before you go! You never know what can happen in a new location, so you want to prepare for anything. We recommend testing your set-up with guests and co-hosts before you take off. Troubleshooting will be a lot easier now than on-location!
Questions to Consider
- What mobile devices do you normally travel with? Do you normally take your iPhone or tablet with you when you’re traveling? If so, try to work these items into your kit in order to make the most of your setup.
- Will you be recording guest audio remotely?
- What podcast equipment do you currently own? Take inventory of what equipment you currently own, because some of this might be great for your mobile kit.
- Where will you be recording?
- What is the environment like?
- Will you be supplying the gear for your guests & co-hosts?
- Will you need access to WiFi?
What you need in your mobile podcasting kit
Every podcast is different, but here’s a basic list of what you will need.
- Bag, backpack, etc.
- Durable microphones
- Interface, recorder, or your mobile device
- Headphones or earbuds
- Extra cables
- Microphone stand
- Windscreen or wind foam
Take a look at what’s in Mike’s podcasting kit to get an idea of what else you might need to take your podcast on the road.